Saturday, September 15, 2018

September 14, 2018

Williston Schools Annual Fund

Our campout and all other day trips are 100% funded by the Williston Schools Annual Fund.  In the past, parents were asked to write a check to cover the cost of each individual field trip.   Now we ask parents to contribute to the Williston Annual Fund once per year to cover these costs.


Thank you!

Homework Club

Swift House offers an afterschool program to all 5-8 grade Swift students who would like a smaller, quieter setting for work completion. We accept any student who is motivated to be there and willing to work independently and who is open to support. We may also recommend this opportunity to students who are in need of work completion or who consistently fail to complete assigned work. It has been a great program for students and we are happy to have the staffing and funding to offer it again this year.  Ms. Granoff and Ms. Cammann, our two house paras, will be the contact adults for this group.
  • Start Date: Monday, Sept. 17th
  • Every Monday and Tuesday right after dismissal. 
  • Occasionally cancelled due to staffing. We will let you know as far in advance as we know! 
  • A late bus is available for transportation home. 
  • Membership is through interest and motivation as well as strong recommendations from teachers.

Sustainability Community Panels

We kicked-off our Swift Sustainability Action Project with presentations from representations of a wide variety of community-based organizations.   Panelists described the goals of their organization, the assets of the Williston-area community, and ideas about the community's needs.  Presenters included:
  • Reed Carr- Transition Town Williston 
  • Kelly Walshr- Vermont Adaptive Sports 
  • Lou Ann Piolir- Essex Senior Center 
  • Greg Marino- Williston Rotary 
  • Chris Lyon and Maureen Wolpert- Seventh Generation 
  • Dave Trevithick- CVU Sustainability Program 
  • Rhonda Mace- Chittenden Solid Waste District/Green Mountain Compost 
  • Stephan LaTulippe- Williston Restorative Justice
  • Eric Howe- Lake Champlain Basin Program
  • Jim McCullough- State Representative and Williston Town Forest 
  • Liz Royer- Habitat for Humanity ReStore 
  • Lauren Traister- UVM 4H Extension 
  • Amanda Kolifrath- Energy Efficiency VT 
  • Lynn Blevins- Sustainable Williston
Next up, students will start identifying potential action projects in the community.




A post shared by Swift House (@swift_flyforever) on


Swift House Fundraisers

With much thanks to Lisa Barland, Swift TA, and Shelly Masson, Swift FAP leader, we have set dates for this year's Swift fundraisers.  Please mark your calendars:
  • Fun Night: Friday, October 26th 6:00-8:00
  • Fun Night with Big Basket Raffle, date to be announced
  • Marko: Friday, January 11th 6:30-9:30
  • Agave-10% of all sales all day: Thursday, October 18th
  • Grazers-10% of all sales all day: Thursday, March 21st
  • Bottle Drive: Saturday, December 1st 9:00-12:00
All funds raised go directly to our Washington DC trip in June, open to all Swift 5th-8th graders and all WCS 8th graders.  We will send a letter home with dates and details once we have school board approval.

PS We are looking for more FAP representation from Swift House.  Please join us at our Curriculum  Night on Thursday, October 4th to learn more.

Student Opportunities

The following opportunities have been announced in kiva:

  • LEAD- WCS 7th and 8th graders help support their peers in making healthy choices- Email core teacher 
  • AWOD- WCS 7th and 8th graders teacher younger students about diversity- Email core teacher 
  • Swift Student Council- 5th-8th graders interested in giving input on Swift-related decisions- Email Mr. Hunt 
  • Continental Math- Coaching and math challenges weekly. Sign-up in School Bell
  • Intergenerational Reading- A monthly book group with peers and members of the community. Sign up in the School Bell
  • Cultivating Pathways to Sustainability Conference @ Shelburne Farms- Swift will be sending 10 students to this one-day conference.  Students should see Mr.  Hunt if interested.  


Fabulous Swift Interns

Melissa Edwards

Hello! My name is Melissa Edwards and I am an intern at Swift this year and I’m very excited. I am originally from Massachusetts, but I moved to Vermont for my undergraduate degree and decided to stay here because I love it so much. Currently, I am working to get my master’s degree in Special Education. During my free time, I like to read and take walks downtown, as I am lucky enough to live in downtown Burlington. I have worked with children and families closely during my time being a developmental educator at Vermont Family Network, and believe in family-centered practice. I am looking forward to getting to know all the students and learn as much as I can this year, and I think Swift house is a perfect place to do that!




Patrick Clow

Hello Swift families! My name is Patrick Clow, and my son, Elliott, graduated from Swift this past June. His excellent experience with Swift House and the Williston Schools are a major part of my inspiration to embark on a radical mid-life career change and pursue a long held dream of becoming a middle school science teacher. Just last month I earned my first bachelor's degree ever. It's in Interdisciplinary Studies from Northern Vermont University (formerly Johnson State College), and combines science, theater, and photography. I'm now in UVM's accelerated Master of Arts in Middle Level Teaching program, and am honored to have Amy Skapof, my son's former core teacher, as my mentor this year (it's a good thing she's already used to my puns). I volunteered with Four Winds Nature Institute the past 6 years, another inspiration to move to the classroom from over 20 years in the photographic electronics industry. My areas of concentration for teaching are science and English language arts, and I hope to bring some of my theater skills to bear in Swift House as well. I'm appreciating getting to know your students better (some I've known for a few years already!) as I have an awful lot to learn from them, and from all the amazing adults in Swift. Elliott and I like to ski and hike, so we hope to see you on the slopes of Vermont somewhere!

Julia Okrant

Hello everyone! My name is Julia Okrant and I am a new addition to the Swift House. I am a senior at UVM studying Middle Level Education with a minor in Special Education. I grew up in Connecticut, but have had the pleasure of living in Vermont for the last 7 years.

I’ve worked at an afterschool program in South Burlington for the past couple years, and spent this past summer working at a day camp in West Rutland. Being around the vibrant energy of students continues to inspire me as I work towards becoming a teacher. I advocate for student voice, dynamic learning activities, and an empathy based approach to student needs.

In my freetime I enjoy writing and reading poetry, going for walks, hiking, skiing, and cooking. I also love playing card games and solving puzzles.

I’m grateful to be a part of this amazing community within Williston Central School, and I look forward to getting to know you and your students!

Renee Willard

Renee (left) with Nathan Fillion, from cast of Firefly
Hello families of students in Swift! My name is Renee Willard and I'm a senior at the University of Vermont. I'm in the middle level education department and aiming for certification in the concentrations of English Language Arts and Social Studies. This year I have been so lucky to land in Mrs. Donelly's classroom for my student teaching placement. I decided in the third grade that I wanted to be a teacher one day, and when I was in middle school I settled on teaching English Language Arts.

I'm passionate about explaining hard concepts to students and seeing their faces change when the finally grasp something they've been struggling with. I also enjoy building relationships with students and working to understand the many complexities of adolescent life.

Outside of school I work for the State Park system, which this year has given me an opportunity to go hiking every weekend, something I have been really enjoying. I'm also part of a writer's club in Swanton Vermont, which is near my hometown of Alburgh Vermont. In the winter time when the parks are closed for the season I can be found reading a good book or working on my latest novel attempt.

I look forward to working with the students in Swift, I've seen so many wonderful things in just the first two weeks. It's going to be a great year of identity and team building.

In the picture I'm the one holding the figurine.

-Miss. Willard

More from the Campout...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.